Accountability and Marketing: Part 2

"Why is this happening to me?" is a "bad" question
- John G. Miller on accountability
photo courtesy of BlairBallPhotography
 
Struggling with stress I went to a Bible study in 1990 on "Your Work Matters to God." Doug Sherman, in the video we were watching, talked about how stress can be good for me and I would have walked out if I hadn't been at the the far end of a packed-out room.
 
Philosophers since Socrates have argued about what man is really seeking. Most have settled with "joy." Me, it's "not-to-be-stressed." I guess Joy comes from not being stressed.
 
A few years ago John G. Miller, in QBQ, brought to my attention this question: "Why is this happening to me?" Not just the question, but the impact of asking, even feeling, the question - Victim Thinking.
 
My original read of QBQ didn't give me the full perspective of this particular question but the book did influence me enough that I had the QBQ principles taught to 80+ employees in our company. I participated in many of those QBQ sessions 5 years ago and have continued to practice the principles. Learning to practice Ownership Thinking is huge.


Practicing Ownership has also helps me realize that stress IS a choice and I wholeheartedly I agree with Miller's principle that stress is a RESULT of our choices and when we ask the question "why is this happening to me?" we feel as if we have no control.
Marketing. Good marketing is a result of processes you put into place - processes you control. As I mentioned in the Handshakes series, you don't control how someone responds to your emails, posts, tweets, phone calls, etc. What you control are YOUR ACTIONS.
 
Turn the question around -
 
What could I have done in the past to have more prospects?
What can I do today to have more prospects?
What weapons can I use, that cost little or no money, to catch people's attention?
 
Feel that question? What emotion is different when you mouth out loud a "what" question vs a "why" question.
 
The bottom line............Asking "why" and "when" questions makes us FEEL like a victim.
 
 
To that end.....Experience OWNERSHIP by asking WHAT and WHERE questions about your marketing.
 
 
What do you think? Do you have an opinion? Or experience? Please let me know by clicking COMMENTS below.
 
Have a great day,

Danny L. Smith
Sr. Mortgage Loan Officer
Independent Mortgage Broker
Certified Guerrilla Marketing CoachTM
Impact Leadership Coach
NMLS #138873
Phone: 512-773-6528
Fax: 512-551-0006
Danny@DannyLSmith.com
www.DannyLSmith.com
 
Need a good conversation starter? Try this -
 
            "Can you believe Danny Smith is quoting 3.25% 30 Year Fixed Rate mortgages?"
 


 
 
 


No comments: