It's a great day - Thanks Zig!

If you want things to be different,
then you have to start doing different things
- Zig Ziglar

In September 1991 I was in the Hosier Dome with 50,000 other Amway reps at an event called Free Enterprise. You knew who had gotten there early because they had the seats up close. Me.......I was in the nose-bleed section under the very top rafter.

Those on stage were pretty small and this was before the big screens! Yet, when Zig came out on stage he looked right straight at me, pointed his finger and said

If you want things to be different, then
you have to start doing different things!

His first suggestion was to answer the phone, every time, by saying

"It's a GREAT DAY, this is Zig Ziglar!"
 
Of course he suggested we use our own name! ziy Saturday morning and I thought about answering the phone this way the rest of the weekend.

Monday morning though......I couldn't get it out. I just couldn't say it. Finally, after trying it over and over, I answered the phone on Thursday and said "it's a great day Danny Smith." (Close enough) It wasn't so bad except Charles Bridges, who I shared an office with and had been setting next to me in Hoosier Dome, laughed so hard he almost fell out of his chair. He had no idea I had been trying to answer the phone this way.

This wasn't me, totally out of character, but I wanted to change some things and Zig said I need to do something different.

That was over 20 years ago and it's rare I don't answer the phone "it's a GREAT Day Danny Smith."

Thanks Zig.

No comments: