What to do when goal setting doesn't work - Part 1

If goal setting works well for you, stop reading. If not, maybe I can help you just-a-bit. I don’t like goals. I don’t like them because I don’t do goals well and when I don’t do something well I feel like a failure and I don’t like to feel like a failure. I also don’t like to keep doing something over and over again and goal setting just isn’t something that’s sustainable. For me. But I need to set goals. I know I do, so I set daily goals. Small goals. Nothing past today is called a goal. You might think this is just a play on words, and maybe it is but “what you say to yourself matters.” That’s a take on Shad Helmstetter’s book What To Say When You Talk To Yourself.



I need to write them done also. And I think of things in this way –

First - Know where you're going. What do I dream of doing, or having, or becoming? I like Scott Carley's take on different types of goals. One being achievement. What achievement do I want to obtain? Jim Collins, in his best-seller Good-to-Great, called them BIG HAIRY AUDACIOUS GOALS. John Maxwell takes a different twist and tells us how to Put Our Dreams To The Test in his classic best-seller. Whatever you call them, write them down, journal about your dreams, your ideas, your goals.
Second - Know you're not going to get where you want to go with what you have. I know if I want to accomplish something I've never accomplished, or if I want to accomplish something I have accomplish in the past but it wasn't sustainable, I need to GROW through the process. This is where I use the process of improving my Time, Attitude, Skills, Knowledge and Style. 

In Part 2 of this series, I'll explain more about how I use the acronym TASKS to help me achieve my daily 6 things as I move towards the bigger and long-term achievements.

To that end.....Start Something!

Related post - Part 2, Part 3 (not posted)

No comments: