Essential Leadership Discipline: Following Well

Following Well simply has to be an Essential Leadership Discipline. I read more than the average person and almost never run across anything about "following" (except following on Facebook, Twitter, etc). In the last year, and I keep up with stuff like this, I've only come across writings about following on LinkedIn (one article), a website on assessments and the Bible. Nothing else, yet without followers, without following, without following done well we can't have good leadership.

The LinkedIn article was the first time I remember reading anything of substance, besides the Bible, about following. The LinkedIn article is at http://tiny.cc/gMgQM and led me to the book Courageous Follower.

I've since researched and found some other articles on  following written by the Courageous Follwer author Ira Chaleff. Mr. Chaleff has written and lectured extensively about the subject.

Having said all that, maybe this is just another blind spot I've got. Maybe there is more written about the subject that I know about, but one thing I do know, following well is not something that comes easy. Everyday I hear or read about being a good leader, or developing leadership, or some such very important discipline. Yet....following, where's the discussion about this discipline? Without it being written and discussed, it will not be considered important. Are we scared to call ourselves and other followers?

Ponder the thought of how well people follow you, or you follow others. Ponder how important it is to follow well.

To that end, ponder following.


(You can find more on "following" by typing "follow" in the search for this blog)

No comments: