What does history have to say about Jesus?

The older I get, the more
relevant is the past.


As I get older I my thoughts go to the past more often. Not just my past, but the past. What does history, non-Biblical history, have to say about Jesus?

Here are some things I ran across this week -

Annuls 15.44 (c. 114 A.D.) - Roman historian, Tacitus, wrote that the founder of the Christian religion, Jesus Christ, was put to death by Pontius Pilate in the reign of the Roman Emperor Tiberius

Letters 10.96-97 - Pliny the Younger wrote a letter to the Emperor Trajan on the subject of Christ and Christians.

Antiquities 18.68 -(c. 90 A.D.) - Jewish historian Josephus penned a short biographical note on Jesus: "Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call Him a man, for He was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as received the truth with pleasure. He drew over to Him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was Christ."

Sanhedrin 43a, Adodoh Zeraj 16b-17a - The Talmud refers to Jesus of Nazareth


Interesting stuff. Huh?


No comments: