The cost of leadership - Are you more interested in rights or responsibilities?

The heart of good leadership is sacrifice
- John Maxwell
 
When a leader "gets" that he/she looses rights as responsibilities increase, the real leader emerges. As I explain that concept, I really watch my audience; some find it curious, others ridiculous.

My experience has shown this is where the true leader begins seperating from the rest of the crowd. Many want to be a leader, consider themselves leaders, but are they willing to give up rights?

I'm thinking right now of some conversations I've had within my organizations and in training classes. As I think back - as I pause and reflect - I remember those who failed to get this important factor.

John explains it well in the Law of Sacrifice / 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, page 223.


To that end....what's more important to you? Rights or Responsibilites?

No comments: