Want to Get It Done? Hire a Camera Crew...

I received an email from Fred Rogers at AudioTech a few weeks ago challenging me to set better goals and get involved in the 100 Day Challenge. Now, I'm not all out promoting this company, nor its site  http://www.startfastfinishstrong.com/, and I haven't bitten on the challenge (yet?), but he did get my attention.

Fred led off his email with

What would happen if I were to follow you with a camera crew 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the next 100 days while you went for your your goals? I bet 3 things would happen....

1. You would START doing the things you say you need to do.

2. You would STOP doing hte things you know you shouldn't be doing.

3. You would MAKE monumental performance gains and change your life.

Then, Fred said......this is all possible through the discipline of accountability.

Again, I haven't signed up for the 100 Day Challenge, but that word "accountability" carries a lot of force behind its use. Many authors (God, Aristotle, Covey, Peters, Drucker, Augustine....) have written about what happens when it is enforced, or not. John Miller (Twitter @QBQGUY) writes extensively in his book QBQ about personal accountability and says "you don't blame anyone, including yourself." Now that brings accountability to a whole new level (read the book!).

So, back to the camera. If a camera were following me around today, what would I Start and Stop doing? Is Cathy (my wife) going to see the film? Assessments note that I'm a poor time manager, so I bet I'd get some things done.

....better go to work. Cathy's downstairs moving around and I bet she thinks I'm working.

Gulp. Maybe I'll make some monumental performance gains in my life today.

Lord help me!

Everyone else....have a Great Day and remember, you're being watched!

No comments: