How much are you rationalizing your own failures?


I've been thinking. LOL. I know the joke, "That's a bit scary!"

My brother Randy says I think too much. What he probably means is I over-think things. And he's probably right except what I'm probably doing is……….what I'm probably doing is……

I'm trying to rationalize. I think.

Transparency. Stephen M.R. Covey, in his book Speed of Trust, defines transparency as "telling the truth in ways it can be verified." That's transparency!


So, I'm setting here this morning, thinking about thinking. I'm thinking about the results I want today and I'm telling you that I'm rationalizing some things.

And I'm thinking to myself………"REALLY SMITH? You want good results, you want to make a difference and make a profit. And you're rationalizing?"

I'm telling you, that comfort zone is a scary place to be and it's really not serving me well at all. Now I'm thinking about my learning model.

What caused me to think this way? What causes me to rationalize my own behaviors and not drive to a better understanding. Maxwell Maltz said "the most important sale you make in life is what you sell yourself."

What am I trying to sell myself? My own beliefs? That's not good.

Actually, that's horrible. That's a downward spiral because it will only get worse.

Thinking. I think I have a mindset that lends itself towards a deeper understanding of my life and my purpose. Seeking transparency. I think I have that kind of mindset.

But then, I realize that I'm rationalizing some things. Maybe a lot of things.

I'm studying and teaching out of John Maxwell's newest book "Good Leaders Ask Great Questions" and I'm reminded right now of the power of the question. The question is so powerful that left unanswered, or answered incorrectly, our subconscious continues to bring to the conscious the true answer.

So, without trying to have the answer right now……

I know this, I can't grow trying to rationalize. I can't get better.

So, Smith, what ALL am I trying to rationalize?

No comments: