Pondering - Leadershift

I read Maxwell's "Leadershift" as I was shifting into a new role 6 months ago.

This new role has been an emotional shift and I'm surprised I've lasted. My 12WkYr Coach, coming into the new job, recommended my only goal should be "to show up every day."

Wise. Simple and wise.

This morning I find myself looking through this list of shifts Maxwell writes are necessary.

- SOLOIST TO CONDUCTOR

- GOALS TO GROWTH

- PERKS TO PRICE

- PLEASING PEOPLE TO CHALLENGING PEOPLE

- MAINTAINING TO CREATING

- LADDER CLIMBING TO LADDER BUILDING

- DIRECTING TO CONNECTING

- TEAM UNIFORMITY TO TEAM DIVERSITY

- POSITIONAL AUTHORITY TO MORAL AUTHORITY

- TRAINED LEADERS TO TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERS

- CAREER TO CALLING

These recent months have further confirmed my belief that we (humans) perform best when we "manage processes and lead people." John gives a good explanation of my belief on page 1....

"Management systems and processes tend to be linear. They assume that similar inputs will result in similar outputs. In many situations, this holds true. Leadership, however, requires a more nuanced view of the world because it involves people: what motivates them, what their interests are, and how engaged they become."

To that end....I think I know what I'm rereading this weekend.

No comments: