A Contemplative Funk.....or....Young Ty Egbert doing it well!

Cathy (my lovely, patent, faithful, partner our Father has graciously gifted me with and who keeps me grounded) commented a few minutes ago about the "funk" I'm in this morning. My reply was "I'm in a contemplative funk." I then went on to explain how a contemplative funk was a "good" funk.

After she rolled her eyes and walked off, I began contemplating about my contemplative funk because until she mentioned it, I had not realized I was in any type of funk.

In that reflection I realized I had been in a real pondering mood. I'd been thinking about the people I worked with this week and how some are trying to get better while others just keep plugging along (doing the same things over and over again and not getting better results).

One person not plugging along is Ty Egbert.

Ty is a young man, 19 years young, who called me this week and said he wanted to buy me lunch. While he had me at "buy..lunch" I did ask questions and he explained he was trying to get clarity on whether he was going to college or pursue other options this fall.

Wow!

Now, his dad undoubtedly had something to do with him calling me and even some of the scripting of the call.

But! Wow.

Not many young men and women would really venture into that arena...not many dads..never mind.

Ty and I haven't had the one-to-one yet, but he did attend a business networking lunch (CBLG) with me yesterday and presented his options during his excellent introduction. Afterwards, he engaged in conversations, listened well to advice and accepted an invitation from one of the men to drop by his office.

I don't care who you are! We can all (young and old) take a lesson from young Ty. Most college bound are thinking only of what college will be like and how to engage well in that culture. Ty is listening to parents that are encouraging him to think not just of now and the next four years, but life. He's thinking about goals, their impact and reasoning.

Ty, through his own initiative, and intake from his parents and others, is seeking clarity. He's asking people, not for opinions, but about experiences. My expectations are that he will use this advice as he further seeks God's direction and do well in that endeavor.

What a great example of "preparing the path and always getting better."

Hmmm...I started this off by talking about my contemplative funk, but I sure like where it ended.

What are you contemplating?

To that end....make a difference today,

Danny

No comments: