If I ever write a book on "God and Work" it will be named..

Sacred Work: What If God Designed Work to Make Me Holy More Than Me Happy?


These are some highlights of what I've learned about God's view of work over the past 23 years -
  • God is a worker. Always has been, still is
  • God created man and woman as His co-workers
  • Before the fall, God created work
  • Work is not the result of the curse
    • nature of work is good, not evil
    • work became hard after the fall
  • Through work we,
    • serve others
    • meet our personal and family needs
    • earn money to give to others
    • take what God has made and re-create new products and services
  • Christ's death did not change work, but the worker
    • Ghrist gives the worker the opportunity to be back in the right relationship with God
    • Christ wants to transform me as a worker
  • The Hebrew word for "to work" "to serve" and "to worship" is the same
  • In the New Testament, the focus of worship shifts from the temple to Jesus. Through my belief in Jesus, and with the help of the Holy Spirit whom Jesus sent, I can worship God anywhere.
And, I've learned God wants me to have a proper balance with all areas of my life, including my family and resting.

And prayer. What a difference pausing and praying makes to my work, my life. That time in the morning, on and off during the day, it makes a difference that goes past happy.

So what if work is more about making me holy?

To that end.......

No comments: