Communication Connection by Guest Blogger Gary Seale

Welcome Guest Blogger, Gary Seale. This is a post Gary wrote for this blog in early 2011. Since then it has had 2,165 hits and is the #1 out of over 48,000 hits to this blog. You can read more on what Gary has to say about communicationa and sales at Sales Team Improvement.

Gary provides sales outsourcing services and is the author of the book Business Principles from Proverbs.

--------------------------------------------

Recently I have been reading a John Maxwell book called “Everyone Communicates, Few Connect.” One of Maxwell’s premises is that we have to know our audience and their level of understanding to truly communicate. It is all too easy to deliver information on our level of comfort and miss the intended audience all together.

I first learned this concept in a Toastmaster’s International program in the early 1990’s. The impact of their philosophy and receiving feedback on my speeches made this an important concept to keep in mind. This is true no matter what level or size of audience you speak to. From a six year old to a Phd from MIT, we all need to position our choice of words and illustrations to truly communicate.

To illustrate my point, allow me to relay a personal experience where I missed the mark. I was asked to address a group of high school seniors on what to expect from life after they graduated. I took some care in preparing my remarks based on my perspective and experiences. When the talk day arrived, it was painfully obvious to me that I was only connecting with the adults in the room. I was receiving alert body language, knowing smiles and positive head shakes. However, the students where listless, avoiding eye contact and pretty bored with my “highly insightful” words of wisdom. They were not connecting with me and the impact of the talk was greatly diminished.

The point is to do your research and vigorously seek to deliver your message on the level of your recipient. Your communication connection will be greatly enhanced!

Gary D. Seale
Principal - The Trucon Consulting Group, LLC
512-219-6677 | Trucon@sbcglobal.net
www.TruconBD.com
Striving to be the acknowledged Texas leader in sales consulting and contract sales services


Thanks to Gary for this excellent article and the transparency in such a matter. If you aren't getting the sales you need and want someone to get the actual-sales-function DONE. Gary is the guy.

To that end.....

No comments: