Execute to market well: #4.....Nail down your Purpose


Experts say that very few people can properly describe their "marketing purpose." I recently asked hardcore sales people, both in a networking venue, and both gave "how" answers, but not "why." Another gave me some purpose, but had to add how.

Duct Tape Marketing gives this as a good example of a marketing purpose statement: "we're Crestwood Custom Home Remodelers and we want to be known as the no-mess, no-trash, we'll-make-your-neighbors-happy contractor." I like that. It doesn't say anything about themselves as contractors, but it gives purpose.

While there will be specific purposes defined by project or timeline goals there has to be a BIG purpose defined. For me to trust my marketing, it must have focused meaning, worth and intention. My marketing purpose is defined with THREE purposes. This is then followed-through with an operations ACTION. Without operations and action, or it becomes trivial (see post).


#1 - the purpose of my marketing is designed to capture the attention of my target market(s), and then

#2 - the purpose of my marketing is designed to give my target market information to facilitate their decision-making-process when they are ready to buy, and then

#3 - the purpose of my marketing is designed to keep the risk of buying as low as possible and is easy-to-take action on.


The 1st Purpose of my marketing is....

....to help you produce more by
giving away value in exchange for your attention.



To that end......be purposeful.



1 comment:

DannyLSmith said...

working on this purpose statement - it was

Attract homeowner clients with a leadership
mindset that desires to leave everyone we come in contact with to be better because they worked with us.

Updated it on post