What is a Collabortive Focus Group?

I've been in various types of groups, for many different reasons and when I think of "groups" I don't get that excited. But then, I'm not a group type person and besides, there sure seems to be a lot of wasted energy in groups; some groups are called "meetings."

Lincioni wrote the excellent book Death by Meeting a few years ago and I might right one someday called Death by Group.

Two groups I'm involved in right now are BNI-360 and CBLG. They are both referral type lead groups and while the CBLG group is just getting off the ground, if it can come close to being as effective as the BNI-360 group, I'll have hit two homeruns. The weekly 1 1/2 hour meeting, along with some follow-ups, is time and money well spent; amazing energy and group of individuals....no death, all living.

So, what does this have to do with Collaborative Focus Groups? EVERYTHING. A Collaborative Focus Group is designed to be engaging and results driven. Participants will gain life changing information (though parts of it is "back-to-the-basics) , collaborate with others on that application, and robustly evaluate and correct their results.

The group IS NOT a peer-to-peer group in the typical peer-to-peer sort of way. The group will be made up of individuals at various stages of their careers, multi-generational, and in varying positions within different types of companies.

As a CEO of a 700+ organization I've learned as much from those way down the org chart as I have from peers; probably more. I'll take anyone with an interest and heart in getting better and talking straight; no matter his/her age or rank.

Blindspots? We all have them and a Collaborative Focus Group, with its multi generational/positional make-up is ideal for exposure and learning how to work around or through them.

For more about RP2's Collaborative Focus Groups see the tab above.

To that end....

No comments: