Mastering Mondays

I said on Monday that I would be writing on Tuesday about Mastering Mondays. Ha. Tuesday and Wednesday came and went; I'm still trying to get through my Monday's dailies.

John Beckett in his book of this same title, Mastering Mondays, sums it up:

In my short lifetime, man has spit the atom, conquered polio, walked on the moon and shrunk the globe through the Internet. But millions of us have yet to master Monday.

A few years ago, in pursuit of a woodworking hobby, I read an article about different men's ventures into their full-time woodworking (career!). One question the interviewer asked was, "what do you like most about your job?" One guy's answer intrigued me:

I love the fact that every morning, with coffee in hand, I go out to my workshop, open that door knowing that I have some things to accomplish, but also know that there is no telling what I'll work on that day. I just let what interests me the most be my guide.

It must have intrigued me, and I still remember it 10 years later, because of how it really screws with my head. I'm that way all the time, EXCEPT for the "knowing" and "loving" parts. I start the day typically knowing that is likely to happen, but with blind determination that I'm going to get certain things done.

Cathy and I (my bride of almost 25 years) were discussing some things yesterday that led to my Workforce Readiness assessment. This thing tests you against the DOL database and gives you an idea of what careers you could possibly succeed in based upon multiple characteristics. The image below depicts part of the report and shows that I'm what I'd like to say "balanced."


Cathy simply looked at it and commented well, you can either do almost anything, or nothing. What are your thoughts?

My look told her my thoughts and the fact I'm still trying to master Monday on Thursday should tell me something.

Hmmm. Let's see....my highest is realistic. Let's go with that one for today.

Blessings, Danny

No comments: