Dress for Dollars

I'm off-site with a client today, on my iPad, and will probably need to clean this post up later. But here goes....

Flanagan points out there are "two keys to appearance:"

1. Dress appropriately and
2. Stay dressed

While he has much more to say in "So, You're New to Sales" I'll just move on to my own points;

1. Because you never stop prospecting, and selling, always dress appropriately
2. You can dress appropriately and be dressed down headed to the store, out to play, etc
3. Don't look stupid
4. If you ran into a client at Home Depot, would he say "nice guy, I'm glad I'm doing business with him." Or would it be "you've got to be kidding me. I can't believe he dresses like that" (and remembers nothing else about your encounter).
5. The older generation probably has more money that you do and they want the people they do business with to look sharp (they think it relates to quality of work)
6. Always be prepared to go network with new people
7. If you depend upon others to refer business to you, will what you are wearing offend them?

I'm of the Boomer generation and taught years ago by a business mentor to wear "a darker colored suit, white shirt and a tie with bit of red in it." Cathy tells me that a blue shirt calms the ticked-off look I seem to have and I have learned it makes me more approachable.

Last night I went to an amazing open house at Supreme Lending's beautiful corporate office. The invitation mentioned the appropriate dress was "cocktail attire." To be honest, I can't imagine showing up any less dressed, but undoubtedly this was necessary in today's culture.

Yes, I'm biased and stereotype and all the other things that make me seem old and blah blah blah..but, are you willing to risk your income just because you don't want to play dress-up?

To that end.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I can't imagine a sales person that sells any type of financial product not wearing a coat and tie.

Anonymous said...

And loose clothing! It looks more professional, even if too big.

DannyLSmith said...

Ha! So true. And it also makes people think you've lost weight!